Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Change of Pace...Finished a sweater!

When I finished Bob's stole, I decided that rather than start something new, I would finish a sweater that has been in pieces on one of my tables for a while--I had covered it up with a sheet so that I could use the table without disturbing it last spring! Here it is! I took a workshop called "Knit Until it Fits" in Kelowna two years ago with Paulette Lane. The idea is to start with a single stitch and then increase one at the beginning of each row with a yarn over. Knit until you have a triangle with an equal number of yarn overs on each selvedge and it's the width of your shoulders. Use the gauge calculated from this triangle to figure out how many stitches to cast on for other kinds of shapes.


I crocheted all the pieces together with a simple chain stitch (not a single crochet--I wanted the resulting seam to lie flat.) You can see from the back view that I could have made the initial triangle smaller--it's a little wide for my shoulders. This is probably due to the weight of the sleeves. The yarn is heavy with a lot of drape--it's a linen/wool blend.

I joined the sides with panels in which I did some waist shaping with short rows.

I'm happy with it--just need some cooler weather so I can wear it! We are enjoying unseasonably warm temperatures these days--it's been in the high 20's and low 30's in the Okanagan...breaking some long standing weather records.

2 comments:

  1. Well done! Did you use slip stitch or corrugated ribbing on the two-colour panels? Hard to tell. Some gauge calcuation on those I imagine. They appear to be part of bigger sections. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paulette,
    The two colour panels are actually in garter stitch. It's like Fair Isle in stocking stitch except that when on the private side, the yarn not being worked has to be brought forward. These are at the tops of the triangles so didn't work them separately. And because these rows are worked in two colours with stranding, the gauge is slightly tighter so I only worked a few rows rather than several.

    ReplyDelete