Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Red Stole--lining and piping

The piecing is over--now onto the more fussy finishing work of the lining, piping, and so on.
In the box of red ties were also several "fat quarters" (a quilters' term for a square of fabric measuring about 22" x 18").  I like to use cotton for the lining because it makes the stole "sticky" and less prone to sliding around when worn, so I cut several strips off each fabric and stitched them together randomly.  This will make for an interesting lining.  

The future wearer's mother did this piece of cross stitch.   Initially the plan was for me to incorporate it into the piecing somewhere on the stole, however when she washed it, the red thread bled into the white background leaving a pink haze.  I have decided to create a pocket from this piece and attach it to the lining of the stole--women's clothing always lacks pockets, so why not give her one on her stole?  Perfect for a key, business card, note...

Attaching the piping--this particular tie was a patriotic mash-up of the US flag.

The jumble of piping--one of the ties included cartoon characters.

This is a deacon stole and needs to be attached at the side hip.  I decided on three covered cords, the number three being an important number in the Christian tradition.

Stole Front--piping is attached and waiting for the lining.  You'll see less of the piping once the lining is added.

Stole back.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing how it is all coming together! Love the idea for a pocket and I presume this is for an American given the stars and stripes. Thank you for sharing your creative process. Given it is to be worn by someone performing sacred acts, do you embody the sacred in its creation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm.....do I "embody the sacred in its creation"?! What an interesting question. When I receive a box of materials that I know have been gathered from the friends and family of the person for whom the stole is being created, I feel the collective strength and support of those people--an energy that feeds my creative process. So I suppose the answer is a resounding YES!

    ReplyDelete