Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tosca!

I tried something new last Saturday--I took some yarn and needles into the movie theatre and knit a scarf while watching Tosca! I've turned into an opera fan thanks to the Met Opera's live transmissions. And I surprised myself by being able to knit a garter stitch scarf in the dark by feel. I had chosen two chunky yarns and knit them together on 10 mm needles. By the end of the three hour production I had a rudimentary scarf. Thanks to 2 intermissions I was able to check for any dropped stitches and correct them...and there weren't many. In fact I could feel when I was going astray by noticing only one strand of yarn on the needles rather than two. The first time this happened was when the evil Scarpia was trying to seduce Tosca. I was thinking how close the passions of lust, love, and hate are when he sang about the "spasms of hate, spasms of love" and my fingers seized up...I had to take a break from knitting, this was just too much!

Later when I got home, I cast off and deliberately dropped three stitches to create ladders.

This lightened the feel of the scarf making it lacy and improved the drape. The fringe finished it all off.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps this is worth trying during Aida in a couple of weeks. Especially during the loooong march in the middle of the production. Opera and handwork are a logical combination, but not in the dark. Maybe knitting could be the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny! I'll have to try knitting at the movie theatre. I've often been tempted to bring my knitting to live theatre, as I knit in the dark watching movies at home all the time - but I'm afraid to offend people who may think my addiciton is rude to the performers... I never thought about bringing it to the cinema though.
    sylvia

    ReplyDelete