Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bobbin Lace--a humbling experience!

I spent the day yesterday in the company of some very fine women--bobbin lace makers extraordinaire!  This one-on-one workshop gave me an appreciation for the skill involved and the necessary practice to make it perfect.  I also was reminded of what it's like to be a beginner, and have a new-found respect for the beginners I've taught to knit.
My teacher who is about 4'8"--I was sitting on her stool and she's standing.

We were right beside her colleague, another extraordinarily skilled lace maker who was working on a very intricate pattern.

My completed sampler--started with the simplest stitch, called a chain stitch, and then two variations on this stitch.  This took me  about 4 hours and I was exhausted.  

I was set up with another sampler, and after a couple of hours I begged off and asked my teacher to finish it for me.  I now have a lot more sympathy for beginning knitters who want me to finish their projects for them!

My teacher's hands were flying.  She finished this sampler in about 1/2 an hour.

Here's the completed project which I started and teacher finished--a bracelet that is buttoned onto my wrist.
The workshop took place at Shoba which means "beauty that is created by love, peace and happiness".  The makers describe the process as meditative, much like my contemplative knitting.

I'm going to stick to knitting!  Speaking of which, the shawl is finished and needs to be blocked.  That will have to wait until I get home.

The shawl spread out on the bed.

Detail view.


No comments:

Post a Comment