Monday, March 2, 2015

Not quite the last post...

We're still in Europe....when we should be in the air somewhere enroute to Canada. We checked in at Sevilla airport this AM only to discover that our bags couldn't be checked right through to Kelowna. Further inquiries...and we realized that the so-called connecting flight from Lisbon to Frankfurt wasn't going to connect...it is scheduled for departure at 1815! The agent in Sevilla couldn't change it, advising us this had to be done in Lisbon. To make a long and gruesome story much shorter, after talking with several agents for TAP Portugal, they could not change anything because it was an aeroplan booking. We had to wait for a couple of hours before trying to phone Air Canada in Germany, and then had way too many hiccups using the payphone. Now, here is the bright light in the story...and the kindness of strangers...after we had realized that the phone card vending machine had "eaten" our Euros, and that Skype to landline wasn't going to work either due to the Internet signal, a telephone technician came to the rescue. He determined that the substitute phone card Lloyd had purchased at the post office wasn't going to work either, even accompanying Lloyd back to the PO to inquire about this...that he put his own money into the phone box to get the call started, and then opened up the phone to retrieve his coin and continued to cycle that coin through until Lloyd completed the call. I guess he overrode the coin mechanism. Anyway, mission accomplished...the Air Canada rep in Germany agreed that there had been an error, and he has booked us on the same flights to Calgary and Kelowna tomorrow. 

Meanwhile we have had to pay a startling €13.95 for internet connections here in the airport, and we have had to make our hotel booking for Frankfurt. The Air Canada agent told us to make the booking because by the time we arrive tonight their office will be closed. So we will be staying at the Frankfurt airport Hilton Garden Inn tonight, likely the most luxurious accommodations this trip...certainly the most expensive. We have to keep all receipts and submit them later. I feel very skeptical that AC will totally reimburse us.

The choice of seating and restaurants is very limited out in the departures area so we opted to go through security.  TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY...my knitting needles were confiscated. These were 120 cm long circulars specifically for knitting two socks at a time. This was AFTER I had been patted down for having set off the alarm when I walked through the screening door. The agent said "These are sharp. They are a potential weapon." I protested! I said "I have travelled thoughout Canada, Asia, and Europe and this is the first time knitting needles have been seen as a threat!" The agent told me to go back and put them into my checked luggage (and all I could think of was that I did not want to have yet another encounter with a TAP agent because our bags are likely buried somewhere in the bowels of this place waiting for the Frankfurt flight) or I could go back to the post office and mail them home. Well, the needles are not my precious Addi Turbos, and it would probably cost me more to mail them than to replace. So I ripped the socks out of the needles and thrust them into her hands. I suppose they'll be incinerated as lethal weapons.

While this has never happened to me, the thought does cross my mind when I'm packing my travel knitting projects. I therefore never pack my expensive needles, and usually pack bamboo...except I don't have 2.5 mm circs in bamboo. I did pack two sets of double-pointed bamboo, so the stitches are now loaded back on...I did have to rescue several dropped stitches!!

2 comments:

  1. Joanne C, ArmstrongMarch 5, 2015 at 12:02 AM

    My sympathies - my last experience with security at Frankfurt airport in 2013 resulted in me telling Denis that I am never ever running (or even walking) for a flight in a German airport again. That security agent was also full of attitude, but they hold all the power in the situation. Hope you managed a decent sleep and that the westward bound flights operate as they ought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always take my cheapies too just in case I have to do the same as you and rip them out of the knitting and care on later

    ReplyDelete