Thursday, May 13, 2010

Celebrate--the white stole is finished!

And shipped!





You can see that I opted for the gold lame under the battenberg lace--I wasn't comfortable with the copper. I realized that I was trying to make the copper work because of the copper threads drawn from a table runner supplied by the family. I used the copper threads to wrap the piping--and was using it because it had been given to me, rather than because it had any intrinsic merit. The gold lame really is more suitable and appropriate.

A final touch are the pockets on the lining at the lower edges. I was provided with a lot of lacy placemats, and it seemed a good idea to use a couple pieces as pockets for whatever...business cards, house key, driver's licence, tissue...


The last image is a miniature piece that will be a keepsake for the bride and groom. Richard (the minister and the father of the groom) will be using it during the service--he will wrap their hands with this while talking about their theme scripture "A cord of three strands is not easily broken." (This might be an origin for the phrase "tying the knot"?)

2 comments:

  1. Stunning! Would love to see it in person.
    The grandmothers would be proud to see their linens re-used in this manner.

    Were all the linens nice and white or did you have to treat for yellowing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. I like the finished stole design very much.

    ReplyDelete